Casino is one of the oldest towns in the Richmond River. In 1840 Messrs. Clay and Stapelton formed an extensive cattle station which they named Cassino and the town, which came into existence about 1856, though named after the station is spelt with only one “s”. Before this time the settlement was know as “The Falls” and an inn called “The Durham Ox” had already been established.
When Father Johnson was appointed as Pastor of Grafton in 1863 his territory extended from the Clarence to the Tweed. In the month of August, 1867 the Richmond and Tweed districts were formed into a separate parish with Father J J O’Neill in charge and the town of Casino was the principal centre of the new Parish. Parish support for the College is very strong, and Catholic education is seen as a significant apostolate in St Mary’s Parish.